Senn - Deshka - Eagle River, AK

Katelyn Senn
Eagle River, AK 99577
Dog Name: Deshka
Berner-Garde # 93571

The Story of Deshka

My name is Deshka, I was born May 10, 2009, and in July of 2011 my previous owners decided to take me to the pound and drop me in the night drop. I was extremely scared and hid in the corner of the kennels. My owners informed the pound that I was unstable and aggressive towards children. I have no idea why they said this; I have never even had a thought of aggression. While at the pound I was really sick, my hair was stuck together, I didn’t smell good, and I didn’t trust anyone. The pound called a rescue group for dogs of my breed, told them I would be euthanized (I’m not sure what that means) and these nice people came the next day to pick me up.

The nice lady in-charge of the rescue sent out an email to anyone on their list of potential adopters. This is how my new mom found me. My new mom immediately replied at 10pm that night. See; my mom had been on this list for quite some time and really wanted a Berner, but wanted to rescue. My new mom came out as soon as the rescue lady let her. I immediately went to her and she fed me treats! I still wasn’t sure about men at this time so her husband wasn’t my favorite, but I now call him dad. I had an instant connection with my mom; it was like we were meant to be!

I had to go to the vet before my mom could take me home. At the vet, they found I was infested with hookworms and coccidia. I went on medication that made me feel better. I went to my new house where I had a brother, this was very exciting. It took me a while to figure out what “toys” were, but Koda helped show me. One night I was lying on the couch, and I accidentally had an accident. I was scared, I thought I would be smacked or yelled at. Instead my new mom and dad asked me “what was wrong”; no one had done that before. They instantly realized this was unusual and back to the vet we went. Turns out I had a horrible bladder infection on top of everything else. The vet prescribed me some more medication. My mom and I had to trust each other right away because she was in charge of giving me these awful pills and liquid worm medication that I did not want to take.

It’s now 2013 and I am loving life. I am completely healthy and going to be four years old! My life now is lounging around on a couch, playing with toys, going on walks, receiving treats, and pretty much anything I want. My mom and dad don’t have any kids, so Koda (my brother) and I get their undivided attention and anything our heart desires. This is where I’m supposed to be!